[Freedombox-discuss] BitMessage

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Mon Apr 1 13:37:12 UTC 2013

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 09:22:16AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I note that there's been no mention of BitMessage, so I thought I'd
>> mention it:
>>
>>   https://bitmessage.org/
>>
>>   https://bitmessage.org/wiki/FAQ
>>
>> it's doing something a bit like email using something similar to the
>> bitcoin P2P network for passing encrypted messages around in a way that
>> ensures that it's not possible to see who's talking to who.  It encrypts
>> the whole message, so not leaking via the headers.
>
> The question is how scalable that thing is.

I suggest you read the white paper (referenced in the FAQ linked above):

  https://bitmessage.org/bitmessage.pdf

they seem to have addressed scalability (see section 4. Scalability)  ;-)

> On another downside is that unthrottled it will tend to saturate
> scarce upstream on your domestic broadband.

That thought seems to be based in part on the assumption that they've
not thought about scalability.

Of course, one might need to make sure that one is in an appropriately
low-bandwidth "stream" to suit one's available bandwidth.  On the other
hand, it's beta software, and they seem to have left quite a few rough
edges, so you might want to tell them about flaws you think you've
found, so they have chance to address them before they become a real
problem.

Cheers, Phil.