[Freedombox-discuss] startup 'Nebula' releases personal cloud device

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 13:33:42 UTC 2013

On 3 April 2013 15:25, Nick M. Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Melvin Carvalho writes:
>
> > On 2 April 2013 20:59, Nick Daly wrote:
> >> could each FreedomBox offer a small part (10%?) of its unused
> >> resources for other systems?  It'd essentially make them a sort of a
> >> SETI at home distributed computing mesh, but for user freedom.
> >>
> >> Does anybody know of any projects that offer that sort of
> >> infrastructure that we could use?
> >
> > bitcoin is the biggest distributed computing project in the world
>
> I was actually thinking of something more along the line of BOINC:
>
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boinc
>
> Where nodes contribute resources for one another's calculations to avoid
> duplicate work, not the BitCoin model where nodes race to duplicate the
> work as fast as possible.  That would allow each FBX that needed it the
> power of its own hardware + the available resources of other boxen.

Bitcoin should not duplicate work, unless the nonces collide when creating
hashes.  It does a proof of work to

A) make the ledger more attack resilient
B) solve the race condition of double spend via a solution to the byzantine
generals' problem

In a sense all bitcoin miners are incentivized to increase the security of
the overall network in collaboration.

Links:
http://alvarofeito.com/articles/the-big-book-of-bitcoin/
http://peculium.net/2013/03/30/satoshi-nakamoto-explains-the-blockchain/

The reason I suggested economic hacking is to lower the cost of hardware,
in order to bring FBX to a wider audience