[Freedombox-discuss] Restructure how freedombox is set up to use a .deb package?

Tim Retout diocles at debian.org
Wed Aug 21 17:16:36 UTC 2013

On 21 August 2013 14:04, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:
> At the moment, the dreambox and virtualbox images for freedombox are
> set up quite differently, using different package lists to install and
> different scripts to configure the images.

I agree - I've only been looking at this for a few days, but the
duplication does look risky.

Looking at the options, I wonder if debian-live can be used to build
the images?  The "hdd" target should get us something quite like the
VM image, and apparently live-build can cross-build for armel these
days.

This probably does imply moving the setup into Debian packages.  I
won't comment on the details of how that is done, because I haven't
looked at that bit yet!

> This allow extra freedombox modules to be added without having to
> modify the build system.  For example I hope to provide an ical
> server, and could add a package in source/sourcecode/ providing files
> in setup.d to do everything needed for this to work, without having to
> change anything in the build system

Personally I am finding the source/sourcecode directory confusing - it
doesn't contain source code, it's got a binary package committed in
it!  Is Plinth installing modules from there?

Surely (in the long term) the modules should be uploaded to a mirror
as e.g. freedombox-module-ical, and should be installed via apt?

Kind regards,

--
Tim Retout <diocles at debian.org>