[Freedombox-discuss] Dev: New FreedomBox-Setup Dependency: NTP

Bdale Garbee bdale at gag.com
Wed Dec 4 18:29:24 UTC 2013

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> writes:

> I am very found of NTP and correct clocks.  And in an earlier version
> (a few weeks ago) of freedombox-setup, ntp was part of the
> installation set.  But I decided to take it out until it was properly
> discussed, as it will create a regular beakon out of any freedombox
> machine.

I think it's important to include.  A UI switch to disable it if the
user really wants to seems reasonable to include.  Managing the set of
peers / servers the box trades time information with when turned on
seems like the right place to focus most of our configuration attention?

At our meeting in Eben's offices in Feb, dkg came up with really cute
hack for setting the system time in an initial set-up script by
acquiring the client system's sense of time from I think an SSL session
initiation packet.  I'm not aware of that ever being publicly documented
or implemented in our stack, but it seemed like a really neat "hands
off" way to handle the set-the-time-on-first-boot problem without
relying on centralized infrastructure.

Bdale