[Freedombox-discuss] Fwd: [Cryptography] DNSNMC deprecates Certificate Authorities and fixes HTTPS security

Nick Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 17:45:29 UTC 2013

Sandy Harris <sandyinchina at gmail.com> writes:

> Worth a look for use on the Box?

Namecoin is YAINS (yet another interesting naming system) and definitely
worth a look.  At this point, I'd appreciate if someone could write a
FreedomBuddy-Namecoin bridge, that would allow Namecoin to update the
FBuddy service directory.

You can get a good sense of how to write that sort of a bridge by
looking at the freedombuddy/src/scripts/openvpn/static-key_client.py
file [0].

Thanks,
Nick

----

The basic concept is that, if you know the PGP key of the person you
want to host a service for or consume the service from, you'll run the
following from inside the FBuddy directory:

$ python src/query.py --action (add|list|remove) --(hosting|consuming) \
    --key {0} [--service {1} [--location {2}]]

This allows you to control the connections managed per PGP key
fingerprint.  If I wanted to host a wiki for you at r3u6shel9hg.onion
(and your PGP key fingerprint was 123456), I'd run:

$ python src/query.py --action add --hosting --key 123456 --service wiki
    --location r3u6shel9hg.onion

If I wanted to see where you were hosting the IM service for me, I'd run:

$ python src/query.py --action list --hosting --key 123456 --service im

----

0: github.com/nickdaly/freedombuddy/blob/master/src/scripts/openvpn/static-key_client.py