[Freedombox-discuss] Fwd: Re: Dev: Networking Interface Config?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Dec 25 11:12:44 UTC 2013

[Anders Jackson]
> The directive allow-hotplug has nothing to do with Network-Manager. The NM
> only handles network devices NOT mentioned in /e/n/interfaces.

Now, yes.  A few years ago, network-manager was behaving differently,
and allow-hotplug was a way to tell network-manager to take control over
an interface.  As this no longer is the case, I suspect it is obsolete.

> If allow-hotplug is obsoleted or not I don't know.  But it is handles
> by ifupdown. And if there is a network connected to the device or not.
>
> And no, NM isn't needed and should not be used on a server.

How should we handle disconnecting and connecting network cables,
ensuring DHCP is started when the cable is plugged in?

> What to use of eth0 or eth1 depends on the hardware and what name udev
> gives the device.

Which Dreamplug boxes uses eth0, and which uses eth1?

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen