[Freedombox-discuss] status of lxc in debian wheezy (was: Re: jails in Debian?)

Rob van der Hoeven robvanderhoeven at ziggo.nl
Mon Feb 4 15:56:25 UTC 2013

> > For Wheezy it's this bug:

> > Already solved, but not in time for the release-freeze.
>
> I see, thanks.  The initial submitter gave this bug Severity: normal.  Do you
> feel this bug makes lxc unusable, or mostly so?  If there's agreement on that,
> we could try to make a proposed update for the lxc package in wheezy.  See also
> http://release.debian.org/wheezy/rc_policy.txt .

I think most Debian users want Debian LXC containers. This is not
possible in the upcoming Wheezy release. So yes, i think this bug
severely cripples LXC. Already contacted its maintainer about this, but
i had the impression that he had tried but could do nothing about the
situation. Also put a request on the release mailing list to temporarily
un-freeze LXC so the fix could be in Wheezy (Got no reply there).

> Alternatively, a paragraph could be added to the wheeze release notes.

Most users will try LXC a long time after they installed Wheezy when
they have forgotten about the release notes (if they had read the
release notes at all). So a release note will not solve the problem.

People expect that programs that are in a Debian release are tested and
functioning. I think its bad to ship LXC in the state that it is
currently in. Solve the problem or remove LXC from Wheezy, do not let
users wondering why LXC does not work on their machine.

Rob.
http://freedomboxblog.nl