[Freedombox-discuss] status of lxc in debian wheezy (was: Re: jails in Debian?)

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Thu Feb 7 23:23:59 UTC 2013

+++ Wookey [2013-02-04 17:50 +0000]:
> +++ Rob van der Hoeven [2013-02-04 16:56 +0100]:
>
> > I think most Debian users want Debian LXC containers. This is not
> > possible in the upcoming Wheezy release. So yes, i think this bug
> > severely cripples LXC. Already contacted its maintainer about this, but
> > i had the impression that he had tried but could do nothing about the
> > situation. Also put a request on the release mailing list to temporarily
> > un-freeze LXC so the fix could be in Wheezy (Got no reply there).
>
> OK. I suspect the problem is that a) this bug did not have a
> high-enough priority when filed so its seriousness was not
> appreciated, and the fix for it is mixed in with a lot of other fixes,

> A fix for the version in wheezy for _just_ this issue so that lxc
> becomes usuable would be a very good thing.
>
> I've asked on the release list whether a) they agree that this is
> Release-Critical and b) whether an upload would be allowed if it fixed
> _only_ this issue.

OK, the release team response was to raise this to 'important' and ask
for a patch and an upload to testing-proposed-updates:

So, is anyone volunteering to patch the version in wheezy with just
the fixes needed? It doesn't look difficult, but would be much better
done by someone at least vaguely familiar with the package and able to
test it. I'm happy to help with the actual upload/debian
infrastructure part, but I never even ran lxc before this thread so am
not well-placed to fix it.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/