[Freedombox-discuss] Happy Creepy February!

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 20:51:16 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

There are quicker and more effective arguments against the I've-got-nothing-
to-hide red herring.  One is this: however one defines public vs. private, there
are burdensome economic costs to moving data from one sphere to the other,
regardless of the underlying content:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/02/new_york_times_security_breech_how_a_chinese_hacker_tried_to_blackmail_me.html

That's the effect of one highly-targeted data breach.  Imagine the same company
have a similar one every month, for a decade.  This isn't a matter of having nothing
to hide-- it's a matter of paying lawyers, admins, and consultants to quantify the
cost of an unplanned data migration.

The other is that, unlike civil rights activists from the 60s, the
I've-got-nothing-to-hide proponents have no history of action in support of
their cause. If they had a Nietzsche-level of reflection on what their words meant,
they would never password protect anything and make their normative
private lives subject to complete public scrutiny.  If they had a fly's speck
of reflection, they would at least refuse to prosecute anyone who hacked
data related to their private affairs, or violated NDAs, etc.

Seriously-- if you've got nothing to hide, then why go to the trouble to
hide anything at all?  The glaring contradiction between deed and action
makes it a textbook example of hypocrisy.

-Jonathan