[Freedombox-discuss] This white space spectrum chip might be uninteresting

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Fri Feb 15 01:59:38 UTC 2013

Hello John, All,

We have been thinking about related issues in the Serval Project.
Being based in .AU, we don't (yet) have the luxury of white spaces.
Also, as we are also targeting disaster use cases we have to be able
to work in situations where geodatabases may not be available or
accessible for whatever reason.

So our initial efforts that are being sponsored by the NLnet
Foundation are being focussed on the ISM band at 915MHz, that is
available in a number of countries (.US and .AU are of particular
interest).  This band has fairly generous rules, and is capable of
fairly long distance communications.

Our very early tests, using what we know is sub-optimal forward error
correction, and with purposely poorly placed antennae (on a couch or a
desk inside a house, similar to the kinds of places a freedombox would
be expected to be plugged in) already show that it is possible to
maintain links through O(10) houses.

This is important, because WiFi does only O(1) house, PI*r^2 = O(1)
houses covered (including your own), and so you need Almost Everyone
to join to form a mesh.

But assuming a range of O(10) houses, PI*r^2 = PI*10^10 = O(100)
houses, and so you need only about 1% up-take to enable metropolitan
networks to be feasible.  That seems much more likely than the ~100%
up-take needed to make a WiFi mesh.

The trade-off is the relatively low bandwidths that are feasible.  We
are using 250kbit, and that is about as high as is feasible.  However,
it isn't as bad as it sounds, because we can use some clever frequency
hopping and related tricks to create a "multi-threaded" radio
environment, where there can be 50 senders operating in the band for
250k x 50 = 12.5mbit total throughput, with the nice property that no
one node can consume all the bandwidth. I can provide some further
explanation on this if it is of interest.

We are using the RFD900 radios that run open-source firmware, and our
GPL Serval Mesh software on top of that to give us a fully open stack,
complete with our baked in crypto layer that the Serval Mesh is based
on, and could be integrated into the FB stack if desired at some
point.

We are beginning to make a few Mesh Helper prototypes, that combine an
RFD900 radio + OpenWRT 802.11n router and battery, and will be testing
these in New Zealand over the next couple of weeks, and can feedback
here if people would like to hear more about how it goes.  Or
alternatively, I will blog about it.  There are already a couple of
blog posts that show some of what we have been up to already, e.g.:

http://servalpaul.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/breaking-wifi-barrier-serval-mesh.html
http://servalpaul.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/building-serval-mesh-helper-device.html

If anyone is interested in knowing more, or helping us out (there is a
fair bit of radio firmware rewriting to be done to realise the full
potential), just drop me a line.

Paul.