[Freedombox-discuss] Announcing FreedomBuddy v0.4: "Good Enough"

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 18:07:35 UTC 2013

Hi folks, after 8 months of development, FreedomBuddy version 0.4 has
been released.  Proudly, it's being released exactly a year after the
initial design process began (President's Day 2012 to President's Day
2013).  I'm happy to call this version "stable and useful enough for
people other than me to test."

    https://github.com/nickdaly/freedombuddy

In these 8 months, all the changes have been under the hood, with few to
no UI changes.  We've moved to a three-tier server-client model, to work
around existing and to prevent future incompatibilities between server
libraries.  The FreedomBuddy server enables the FreedomBuddy command
line client, which listens for requests from all the other external
connectors.  This means that adding additional connectors will require
zero overhead or cooperation from the FreedomBuddy core, significantly
lowering the bar to create connectors to different protocols, overall.

I've also put together a quickstart guide that tries to walk the user
through a very basic setup process.  Please read through it and offer
any suggestions that'll make it easier to understand and use.

If you're interested in helping me test out a distributed network,
please get in touch.

Thanks for your time,
Nick