[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBuddy to use Tor to resolve IP address of nodes?

Michael Rauch l15t at miranet.ch
Sun Jan 6 13:54:24 UTC 2013

On 01/05/2013 04:20 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Graham Burnside (2013-01-05 15:15:05)
>> I've had a couple of hours recently to catch up on how freedombox is
>> developing. I was reading through the debian wiki and noticed that the
>> method being used to resolve the IP address of nodes in the network is
>> via Tor hidden services.
>
> It is true that some are discussing how to penetrate masquerading
> firewalls and how to discover nodes.  Also true that some find Tor
> suitable for handling those issues, and actively explore that option.

beside its use as a reverse proxy and for anonymity, another interesting property of tor hidden services is that the .onion address is a self-authenticating resolvable identity.
the .onion address is hashed from the PGP key and the key is needed to update tors DHT record (the "nameserver").

therefore owning the PGP cryptokey means owning the .onion address (identity). that's it! no setup of an account at a trusted server, no domain registration, no certificate authorities.

-michael