[Freedombox-discuss] BitTorrent Sync

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Tue Jan 29 13:02:13 UTC 2013

Chris Troutner <Chris.Troutner at PACCAR.com> writes:

> I ran across this article on Slashdot about the new Sync platform in
> alpha test by BitTorrent. Apparently it's 'like' Dropbox, but it uses
> your own machine. It allows file synchronization between two (or more)
> computers, like your laptop and personal server.
>
> http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/13/01/25/1941226/bittorrent-launches-
> dropbox-alternative
>
> Does anyone know more about this?

I don't, when I read about it I thought that if I wanted such a thing,
I'd almost certainly use git-annex instead (and 'git annex assistant' in
particular).  See:

  http://git-annex.branchable.com/assistant/

  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joeyh/git-annex-assistant-like-dropbox-but-with-your-own

The thing that it probably supports that git-annex does not, is getting
files between two computers that cannot directly connect to one another
and where no shared staging area is available for them to communicate
via.

If that turns out to be a real limitation for git-annex, I'd imagine
that you'll be seeing a bittorrent sync back-end in git-annex shortly.

Oh, the other thing it probably does better is windows, but I'm afraid I
don't care very much about that, and if I do have to care Joey has made
promises that he'd suffer a month of windows pain in order to port
git-annex, so that issue will be going away shortly too.

Cheers, Phil.