[Freedombox-discuss] #NSA #prism "safe" communication ?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 1 21:59:43 UTC 2013

On 07/01/2013 05:00 PM, James Gilmore wrote:

>     what about #freedombox ?
>

> What about it? As far as I've ever heard, it isn't remotely ready.
> Note that the current release is "0.1," in other words, closer to
> vaporware than product. The only active developer I know about for
> certain is Nick Daly. https://github.com/NickDaly/freedom-maker The
> front-end for FreedomBox hasn't seen any development in over a year.
> https://github.com/jvasile/Plinth So I'm not confident that Freedombox
> will ever emerge from its cocoon.
>
> There's a marked visibility/PR problem. The email lists are the ONLY
> source of info, and if you're not in the thick of it, it's hard to
> tell what's going on. Even lurking on this email list, I often feel
> like more is actually happening, but just isn't seeing the light of
> day. I see inquiries about FreedomBox all the time, but nobody seems
> to know anything about it's true state.
>
> That said, I think freedombox is mostly about making existing
> technology easy to use.

Speaking of making existing technology easy to use, see:
http://yunohost.org/

What would be great is a way to access some of the existing apps through
Tor hidden services.  If yunohost had a plugin for that, then with an
app like Owncloud you wouldn't even need to set up your own domain--
just access it through any machine connected to the net through Tor.

-Jonathan