[Freedombox-discuss] why choose new OSHW (Open Source HardWare)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Jul 3 21:48:01 UTC 2013

Quoting Bob Mottram (2013-07-03 12:34:37)
> On 03.07.2013 11:24, Rob van der Hoeven wrote:
> > On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 09:18 +0100, Nick Hardiman wrote:
> > I got a couple questions -
> >
> > What is the point of choosing new hardware? Will picking a different
> > hardware target help to spread the software development? Will a
> > small percentage of the million RPis get used for privacy work?
> >

> > I do not think we should choose new hardware. We should not choose
> > *any* hardware!
> >
> > What we should do is develop a FreedomBox software stack that runs
> > on any Debian system. If we got that right we can *advice* users
> > about the hardware that is best suited to run the FreedomBox
> > software.
>

> In that case there should be a repository or PPA which you can add and
> then apt-get the entire FB stack.

No need for separate repository: All parts must be in Debian itself.

To help make that happen: Check that all parts that you believe should
be part of FreedomBox is in Debian or in the process of getting there.

This page may be of help:
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/LeavingTheCloud