[Freedombox-discuss] Why plug servers and not smart phones?

Robert Martinez mail at mray.de
Sat Jul 13 09:29:12 UTC 2013

On 13/07/13 08:40, Dan Ballance wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Can anyone explain to me why the Freedombox project is targeting plug
> servers on home networks instead of smart devices in our pockets?

Hi there!

There is probably lots of other stuff and more detailed thoughts around
this interesting question, yet here is what comes to my mind:

* Any service running on your mobile is extremely unreliable (think of
poor connectivity at some times and the constant need for recharging)

* truly free android "clients" are awesome (like replicant /
cyanogenmod) but FreedomBox should be the server behind the services you
use. Because servers are where the main surveillance infrastructure lies.

* any mobile phone is - by nature - a tracking device.