[Freedombox-discuss] Why plug servers and not smart phones?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jul 15 13:25:42 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 11:29:12AM +0200, Robert Martinez wrote:

> * Any service running on your mobile is extremely unreliable (think of
> poor connectivity at some times and the constant need for recharging)

Connectivity needs not to be poor, give ~GBit/s WLAN
thoughput. You say recharging, I say built-in UPS.
Additional external battery backs with standard mini-USB
chargers, and backup with PV panel available.

> * truly free android "clients" are awesome (like replicant /
> cyanogenmod) but FreedomBox should be the server behind the services you

Why "should"? What precisely is a server in a P2P cloud?

> use. Because servers are where the main surveillance infrastructure lies.

So don't use central servers.

> * any mobile phone is - by nature - a tracking device.

Many tablets only have WLAN. The only reason why you can't
use it in a FBX framework is that CM is not Debian.