[Freedombox-discuss] public + private http services

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Jul 15 13:56:29 UTC 2013

Quoting Nick Daly (2013-07-15 14:53:53)
> Different use cases could require different methods, and we'd better
> make sure we plan for supporting at least one of the common methods
> for v2, at least.  Jonas, could you put up a wiki page detailing your
> thoughts on the goals of first few releases?  I think they're pretty
> much what I was thinking, but they might be a little more developed.

In my opinion the goals for the first round of stable releases is to do
just _anything_ - and the least possible - which is usable for
non-geeks.

...where "usable" means being dead simple to use, and "least possible"
implies *avoiding* complex challenges like handling outgoing privacy at
all: Have the box only serve public stuff, and keep secret stuff to
itself - not yet juggle with the many grey areas between that!

See also my earlier post related to this:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2012-November/004853.html

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 5:31 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> > Good idea to try map out what are best practices for different
> > contexts.
>
> Jonas, I concur!  I think the mailing list might be a good place for
> discussing the ideas though, a more permanent wiki page seems
> appropriate when we have more solid solutions.

I suggest add directly to wiki what is believed to be best practices.
Then we can discuss here a) what lacks best practices and b) if someone
disagrees that the wiki properly reflects best practices.