[Freedombox-discuss] secure UUIDs

Tim Retout diocles at debian.org
Sat Jul 20 22:01:55 UTC 2013

On 20 Jul 2013 19:38, "Jonas Smedegaard" <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> Perl module [Data::UUID::MT] includes in its documentation a comparison
> between Perl-based UUID generators, including weak uses of random data
> and details like "For libuuid based modules, Version 1 UUIDs will
> include the actual MAC address, if available".

Hi Jonas!

I'm sure you know this, but in case someone else doesn't: the Data::UUID
provided by Debian is actually libossd-uuid-perl for licensing reasons.  So
when those docs refer to Data::UUID, they are talking about the module from
CPAN, not from Debian.

Also, I recall Debian carries at least one patch to bring the OSSD
implementation into line with the "real" Data::UUID, but this shouldn't
affect MAC addresses.

Kind regards,

Tim