[Freedombox-discuss] Censorship that we can agree on

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Fri Mar 22 10:12:02 UTC 2013

Hello all,

This is really is a difficult, if not impossible, goal.

There is a strong moral imperative to do all that we can.
The challenge is that it is about as easy to remove child abuse from
the internet as it is from people's homes -- but we don't stop
building houses.  Thus the paradox and dilemma of any enabling
technology.

In some ways the most practical solutions are about tailoring the form
of the enabling technology so that it encourages "positive" uses and
discourages "negative" uses -- but this can never achieve the goal
100%, which is unfortunate.

This is not to say that we shouldn't think about ways that we can
offer opt-in protections and filters to for people who wish to use
them, and perhaps have a mechanism for marking/classified content when
it is injected into the network.

Paul.