[Freedombox-discuss] Debian Wheezy, and LXC

Johan Henselmans johan at netsense.nl
Thu May 9 09:58:36 UTC 2013

Now that Debian Wheezy is officially out,I decided to give it a spin, and see if everything would work with FreeDomBox. I started out with LXC, as it seemed the logical choice to use with FreedomBox.

As I started with a netinstall CD, I got a whole bunch of packages that were not installed, amongst others curl, lxc, openssh-server, gcc and git.

Unfortunately, LXC still seems to have broken templates.

I  still could not get
lxc-create -n myfirstcontainer -t debian
to actually get a debian wheezy container running with the official templates.

Errors I got during creation:

-------------
debconf: unable to initialize frontend:
debconf: (Can't locate Debconf/FrontEnd/.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.14 /usr/share/perl/5.14 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at (eval 26) line 2.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive
-------------

which lead errors after startup with:
lxc-start -n myfirstcontaier
-------------
INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
-------------

Fix can be found in http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=680469, but it is not official.

It still used the fix, went to /usr/share/lxc/templates,

did a curl -O http://freedomboxblog.nl/wp-content/uploads/lxc-debian-wheezy.gz
and
gunzip /usr/share/lxc/templates/lxc-debian-wheezy.gz

Then I installed

apt-get install bridge-utils

and added

-------------
auto lo br0
# Bridge setup
 iface br0 inet dhcp
        bridge_ports eth0
to /etc/network/interfaces

rebooted the Virtual Machine

and then created a container with
lxc-create -n myfirstcontainer -t debian-wheezy,

which ultimately made a running container, so FreedomBox could reside it's various services in containers.

Is there any way we could/should warn users of this? I can imagine LXC is something a lot of FreedomBoxers would want to use.

Johan Henselmans
johan at netsense.nl