[Freedombox-discuss] Debian Wheezy, and LXC

Sean Alexandre sean at alexan.org
Fri May 10 12:10:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 11:58:36AM +0200, Johan Henselmans wrote:
> Now that Debian Wheezy is officially out,I decided to give it a spin, and see if everything would work with FreeDomBox. I started out with LXC, as it seemed the logical choice to use with FreedomBox.
>
> As I started with a netinstall CD, I got a whole bunch of packages that were not installed, amongst others curl, lxc, openssh-server, gcc and git.
>
> Unfortunately, LXC still seems to have broken templates.

What about KVM instead of LXC? It provides full blown virtual machines, versus
operating-system level virtualization. This provides better isolation for better
security, in theory anyway. And, it works on Debian Wheezy.

I've got it running on an x86 box, where I have separate VMs for different services
(ownCloud, Tor relay, etc.)

I see KVM has been ported  to ARM too, although haven't tried it there. Some links:
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel-based_Virtual_Machine
GitHub project: https://github.com/columbia/linux-kvm-arm
Website: http://columbia.github.io/linux-kvm-arm/

I installed the virt-manager package, to get the graphical user interface for configuring
and running VMs. My next step would be to install just qemu-kvm, and write scripts to
start VMs that way instead. (That, or run virt-manager from another box, but I'd like
to get this automated with scripts.)