[Freedombox-discuss] How to make a freedombox on non-public network available on the Internet

Hamish Cunningham hamish at gate.ac.uk
Fri Nov 1 10:49:06 UTC 2013

I think you mean "pagekite" -- and it's great!

and already packaged for debian, where it installs and runs perfectly
in my experience (on a Raspberry Pi)

the author of pagekite also shares many FreedomBox goals, I believe

so +1 :-)

hamish cunningham
http://gate.ac.uk/hamish/   http://pi.gate.ac.uk/

On 1 November 2013 09:01, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:
> Hos should we make the services on a Freedombox on a non-public
> network / behind NAT publicly available?  The pagekide system,
> requested into Debian in <URL: http://bugs.debian.org/610358 > is one
> complelling idea.  It allow one to get any port forwarded from
> somewhere to somewhere else, and optionally buy services from the
> company behind pagekide.net to have the end point hosted there.  And I
> suspect we should try to get it into Debian for this purpose.  Any
> volunteers to package it for Debian?
>
> Another, which I tested yesterday, is to use SSH to open a reverse
> tunnel.  To get it working, pick a machine with a public IP address,
> and add GatewayPorts clientspecified to sshd_config:
>
>   pere at www:~$ grep GatewayPorts /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>   GatewayPorts clientspecified
>   pere at www:~$
>
> Next, log in from a machine on the non-public network to the machine
> with a public IP adress using the -R statement to open a listening
> port on the public machine to a machine on the non-public net like
> this:
>
>   ssh -R *:80:non-public-host:80 root at public-host
>
> If you lack root-access on public-host machine, you can pick a port
> above 1024 (for example 8080) like this:
>
>   ssh -R *:8080:non-public-host:80 root at public-host
>
> The anyone on the internet can visit <URL: http://public-host/ > and
> watch the web pages available on <URL: http://non-public-host/ >.
> This can be done for any service on the non-public host, by specifying
> multiple -R statements on the ssh line.  Requiring root access on the
> public-host machine is a disadvantage, though.
>
> Are there other useful options?  Any one got an opinion?
>
> --
> Happy hacking
> Petter Reinholdtsen

Hamish Cunningham  http://pi.gate.ac.uk/  http://gate.ac.uk/hamish/
Professor of Computer Science, University of Sheffield, UK