[Freedombox-discuss] LDAP

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sun Nov 3 08:49:24 UTC 2013

[Lorenzo]
> For these reasons I think it's not necessary to put LDAP in the
> freedombox.  Maybe I'm overlooking something (maybe some critical
> daemon is incompatible with SASL?). I hope what I wrote can be of help
> in the design, I'm curious to hear what are the other opinions on this
> topic.

The reason I believe it is a good idea to have LDAP on the freedombox,
is that it reduces the number of user databases on the system.  Some web
service systems, like owncloud and ejabberd, have their own user
databases while also supporting LDAP as their user database backend.
Several, or perhaps most, do not use /etc/passwd as their user database.
So we can either maintain several user databases specific to a lot of
the services we want to set up in the Freedombox, or we can maintain one
in LDAP and hook the services up to LDAP to use one common user database
instead.  I prefer the latter.

In addition, we get a central and structured place to store
configuration for at least some of the services, but that is of less
importance to me.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen