[Freedombox-discuss] don't sidestep /etc as configuration storage

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Nov 4 14:49:27 UTC 2013

Quoting Simo (2013-11-04 15:13:47)
> On Mon, 2013-11-04 at 10:27 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Quoting Simo (2013-11-04 03:46:56)

> > > To be honest I do not have that great faith about maintenance of
> > > Debian packages, especially across releases. In my limited use
> > > I've had way too many breakages of service due to Debian's
> > > "helpful" policy of meddling in package configuration. The last
> > > horror story was an upgrade of a system with dovecot, I was so
> > > upset I nuked Debian and went back to CentOS.
> >
> > So you suggest to start a project similar to FreedomBox, based on
> > Centos?
>
> No.
>
> >   Or what is your point?
>
> > My point is that when(!) we choose to rely on Debian, we should do
> > so also for configuration handling.
>
> My point is that you need your own configuration handling if you hope
> to have anything that a non-expert can use. The DEbian configuration
> management is little more than continuously prompting an expert admin
> on what to do when there are configuration file changes, that's not
> configuration management at all, that's just deferring to an expert
> admin. And I hope the target audience is a little bit broader than
> that.
>
> That means having a overall package that drags in the right
> dependencies and simplifies configuration decisions by abstracting
> away the details of low level service configuration into an interface
> manageable by common users, where the hard choices are predetermined.

Thanks for clarifying.

I strongly disagree: I find Debian configuration infrastructure
perfectly capable of supporting both technical and non-technical users.

Not all Debian packages currently make good use of the infrastructure
available - but that needs fixing, instead of sidestepping with another
layer of configuration handling: That requires maintenance - it will
bitrot and fail!