[Freedombox-discuss] Dev: Current Plinth Bugs

Anders Jackson anders.jackson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 14:56:02 UTC 2013

Den 26 nov 2013 11:53 skrev "Jonas Smedegaard" <dr at jones.dk>:

> Quoting Anders Jackson (2013-11-26 11:09:51)
> > Den 25 nov 2013 14:46 skrev "Jonas Smedegaard" <[1]dr at jones.dk>:
> >> Quoting Anders Jackson (2013-11-25 12:48:22)

> >> I suggest to file a bug against the Debian package about that.
> >
> > It is known, read the package README file.
> > But as I understand they like patches for those known things if you
> > are in a hurry and want to try it out with that.
>
> This is not about being in a hurry, but about the ideal of Debian
> packages to fully work out of the box.
>
> A bugreport against the Debian package helps track the issue for the
> Debian community at large (not only the package maintainers).  Such
> bugreport would be the better place than here to discuss the issue!

Yes,  agree fully with this, but there are two things discussed here, I
believe. First how database currently not set up by owncloud properly and
secondly how to select which database to use by owncloud.

If this about how to set up the database user and database I don't know,
have not checked the bug database. I just have installed and tried the
software and read the documentation for the package.

> >> I suggest you to file a bug against the Debian package about that.
> >
> > Why?
>
> Because a bugreport against the Debian package helps track the issue for
> the Debian community at large (not only the package maintainers).  Such
> bugreport would be the better place than here to discuss the issue!

Was a bit short there, sorry.
Yes, I known this why bugs reports are god. But why bug report this? There
are other packages that are divided and you by select (sub-)package you
also select the database you want to use.

> >> ...If you use it and agree it [is] a [bug], that is.
> >
> > That is not a big problem, as there are support for both mysql and
> > postgress, depending on which support package you install to owncloud.
> > Just check in Debians package database.
>
> Small bugs are also bugs.  Even wishes for new features are "bugs" and
> makes sense to file.

This isn't a bug, as I see it. This way of selecting database are used by
many other packages in Debian.

The packer of owncloud know about it and they are going to fix it. It might
be a bug report on this already, I have not checked. But I know this as I
have installed and tried owncloud and read the documentation.

>  - Jonas

I think all is said about this. The Debian packer could get some help to
make the owncloud better.

Anders