[Freedombox-discuss] Should we use LXC in Freedombox?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Oct 1 11:12:17 UTC 2013

Hi.

I saw LXC discussed quite a bit earlier on the mailing list, and it
seem like a good idea to isolate the different services from each
other on the Freedombox.

As far as I can tell, LXC now work out of the box on Jessie.  At least
I am able to get it running on my amd64 Freedombox by using

  mkdir /cgroup
  echo 'cgroup /cgroup cgroup defaults 0 0' >> /etc/fstab
  mount -a
  apt-get install -y lxc
  MIRROR=http://http.debian.net/debian SUITE=wheezy \
    lxc-create -n wheezy00 -t debian
  lxc-start -d -n wheezy00

But the LXC environment is completely without network connectivity,
and it is unclear to me how it is smart to structure LXC contained
services.  I guess Plinth need to run on the "real" machine to be able
to set up LXC containers for Tor, Owncloud, dnsmasq, FreedomBuddy,
etc, etc.  But how should connectivity be configured, and which IP
addresses should these services use?  Should they all show up on some
internal network and Apache proxy for them all to allow one pagekite
connection to make them all available to the world?  Or something
completely different?

Anyone with suggestions and experience running such setup?

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen