[Freedombox-discuss] Add Raspberry Pi as a reference platform?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Oct 10 12:12:05 UTC 2013

Hi Anders,

Quoting Anders Jackson (2013-10-10 13:53:56)
> Den 10 okt 2013 13:33 skrev "Eugen Leitl" <[1]eugen at leitl.org>:
>> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 01:06:14PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>>> hardware around (or soon to be available) that is nicher and more
>>> powerful and less dependend on non-free binary blobs is beside the
>>> point.  We do not attract many potential developers by announcing
>>> support for some hardware almost no-one have at home already. :)
>
> I do agree on this.  But do we need to even talk hardware this much?
> If done right, as long we have Debian running on a machine should we
> be able to run Freedombox on it.
> And Rasbian should be enough Debian to run Freedombox, without (large)
> software problems.

I agree Raspberry Pi is fast enough (especially when "cheating" and not
using Debian but the derivative optimized for the ARMv6 subarch).

Main problem, considering it as *reference* platform, is the non-free
blobs needed to boot.  Also a problem if using unofficial packages.