[Freedombox-discuss] Cozy, a personal cloud you can host, hack and delete

Frank Rousseau frank.rousseau at cozycloud.cc
Wed Oct 23 16:35:09 UTC 2013

Le 23/10/2013 17:51, Melvin Carvalho a écrit :

> On 23 October 2013 17:36, Frank Rousseau <frank.rousseau at cozycloud.cc
> <mailto:frank.rousseau at cozycloud.cc>> wrote:
>
>     Hello all,
>
>       I would like to introduce you to Cozy, a project that fit well
>     with the Freedombox spirit. We started Cozy because we were
>     annoyed by the fact that our personal data were spread among major
>     cloud company silos. We wanted to take the full potential out of
>     our data without worrying about privacy issues.
>
>     To solve that, we built a personal PaaS that is simple to use and
>     allows everyone to host and build easily web applications that
>     collaborate around their personal data. It's aimed to be run on
>     top of a linux distribution and the software is libre and
>     open-source. About who is behind the project, it is supported by a
>     startup, Cozy Cloud, part of the Mozilla WebFWD accelerator (our
>     business model is based on professional services around the solution).
>
>     Yesterday, we published our first release, name "Snowden", as a
>     tribute to the person the NSA hates the most! He provided us with
>     proofs of what we have suspected: the cloud is not a paradise. It
>     has helped us tremendously in explaining the benefits of Cozy, we
>     are grateful for his work. If you want to give it a try, you will
>     find informations in the links below.
>     NB: This first version only includes the core module. The
>     available applications (contacts, calendar, photos...) still
>     require some work.
>
>     Annoucement : http://cozy.io/v1-snowden-release/
>     Project website : http://cozy.io
>
>     If you see some way we could join our force with the Freedom Box
>     project, let us know we would be glad to work together!
>

> Cozy cloud looks pretty awesome!
>
> Andrei Sambra ( who works on rww.io <http://rww.io> and data.fm
> <http://data.fm> ) was saying that he met up with some of the cozy
> cloud developers and brain stormed how the best features of these two
> projects could be combined.

You are right, we met Andrei and he provided us good advice on how
improving Cozy!
> If this could be achieved you would have a first class interface,
> together with a really powerful standards compliant back end that
> offers 100% data freedom
Yes, orginally, we are web developers and it would be great to
discuss/work with security/backend experts to see how Cozy could fit
with the standards proposed by the FreedomBox. Moreover, all our apps
provide REST API, so CLIs could be built too.

> I think this may be the job of one full time developer and imho would
> be a great match for freedombox.  (A similar argument applies to
> OwnCloud, but I suspect that would be a harder integration)
Owncloud is a great project too. People often compare us to them but
they have a different approach and we believe that the more there is
alternative the better it is. An option that would allow the Freedom Box
user to chose one of them or both, would be great.

Frank