[Freedombox-discuss] What would it take to port existing FB code to Rasberry Pi?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sat Oct 26 06:51:54 UTC 2013

[Bdale Garbee]
> There are none.  It's inconvenient that Raspian is developed "out of
> tree" from Debian proper, but that's not a technical barrier.
>
> It's *really* annoying that the Pi needs binary blobs.  But as I stated
> during the FreedomBox talk with Eben at FOSDEM earlier this year, and
> again at Debconf in Vaumarcus, I think the Pi boards are too cheap and
> too numerous to ignore.

Glad to see we agree there.  I suggest we rewrite freedom-maker to
also create Raspberrry Pi images.  It only consist of fetching
(aka <URL: http://goo.gl/1BOfJ >) and running it inside the chroot.
But I also suggest we rewrite freedom-maker to work inside a disk
image instead of a chroot, to avoid having to depend on device names
during build.

I suggest we build using Debian Jessie and not Raspbian, even if this
give a performance hit, to have more control over the available set of
packages.

My script to create a Raspberry Pi based mesh node,
have all the pieces we need to add to freedom-maker.

> I just obtained a replacement board (for the one that was lost in
> the fire), and eventually I'll make time to do something with it...

Great. :)

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen