[Freedombox-discuss] Dumb idea: Alternative to Tor that promotes good behavior

Simo s at ssimo.org
Mon Oct 28 17:30:43 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-10-28 at 10:02 -0700, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> [...]

No, I can't and probably wouldn't indeed.

> The more important point to take away is that Tor's current design
> puts an enormous responsibility on the owner/operator of the
> exit-node.  I don't agree with Bill's approach either but I'd suspect
> that most people would find it very difficult to directly support
> basic principles of free speech when watching what tends to get
> requested through their own machines.

I do not disagree, yet Bill's proposal is a censor's dream.

My rule is simple, whenever someone says something about "illegal
material" replace it with "dissident material" ... in most cases you
come up with a great censorship tool, assuming it can be made to work in
the first place.

Now of Bill proposal I do not like neither the 'censorship' aspect, nor
the 'feasibility' aspect.

Simo.