[Freedombox-discuss] Plinth deb packages

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Tue Sep 3 16:36:05 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 11:16:07AM -0500, Nick Daly wrote:
> Please also see the TODO list that includes some of these points:
> https://github.com/nickdaly/freedombox-todos

I still don't have a working system to test with. But: reading that
list:

    - Make plinth in FM during image build process, or,

    - Build some giant startup script to run Plinth that handles
      everything:

      - make-ing plinth
      - other requirements

      Plinth's own start.sh should handle its own local installation,
nothing
      else. The big script should probably assume ~/exmachina is
available.

"Making it start on startup" if you have it properly packaged should be
trivial. You already have an init.d script. dh_initinit will normally
have it run automatically. Likewise, standard Debian builidng tools
(debian-live, whatever) will just use it. As the database is
sqlite and does not require running a server for installation (mysql and
the likes), installation should be simple.

(lintian had some compliants about the init.d script. I figure I'll fix
them once I have a working system)

That is: if you want to have something that works within a Debian
system, there's no need for hacks such as start.sh. They are very handy
for development, but if the target of Freedombox is a Debian system, why
not use the existing infrastructure?

(Sorry for not helping, I really can't figure out that threads bug)

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best