[Freedombox-discuss] Kerberos and remctl instead of exmachina?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Sep 3 17:38:22 UTC 2013

[Jonas Smedegaard]
> Seems to me that aptdaemon rely on policykit, which in turn seems to
> serve _desktop_ users through their being "logged in".

Actually, as far as I know, aptdaemon is an implementation of the
packagekit API, which is a dbus based service to handle packages.
Nothing desktop specific as far as I know.

> Do you have ideas or even experience how aptdaemon would help on a
> _server_ like FreedomBox?

I suspect it would be fairly easy out of the box.  Install it, and use
dbus to talk to it, asking it to install packages.  Might have to
adjust who are allowed to talk to it, to make sure the plinth web
interface is allowed to talk to it.

Try to install it and check out the command line client aptdcon.  It
should provide the python example needed to get an idea how to talk to
the aptdaemon service. :)

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen