[Freedombox-discuss] debconf is the only way...

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Sep 3 19:03:28 UTC 2013

Quoting Nick Daly (2013-09-03 20:22:30)
> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> > Quoting Nick Daly (2013-09-03 16:24:38)
> >>
> >> Jonas, I wish you had made that clarification years ago.
> >
> > Well, "years ago" (august 2010) I wrote this:
> > ...and (september 2010) this:
> > ...and numerous posts posts to 24 threads in this mailinglist over
> > the years, preaching debconf as then IMO only sane approach.
>
> Yes, but due to limitations of my own imagination, I didn't quite
> understand why you felt that way.  That's why I was thanking you for
> the clarification, as I recognize you've been making the point all
> along. :)

Ah - not _making_ the point, but making it _clear_ :-)

Thanks for the compliment! :-D

(only a bit sad I was so slow)

>>> FWIW, I think you're right, which makes me a little bit sad, because
>>> the FreedomBoxiness of a particular package then becomes yet another
>>> unfunded mandate on upstream's or the packager's time (it starts to
>>> sound like SPDX).  That's a hard bargain, socially...
>>
>> I am excited that you agree with me (but puzzled what makes you sad).
>
> Sad only because it can be difficult to get buy in from packagers or
> upstream, because we're requiring work from other owners who aren't
> necessarily independently motivated to do that work.  I just hate
> taking other folks' time instead of doing it myself.

You are not excluded from doing *all* the hard work yourself:

  * distill the config piece we need
  * think very hard how it can be relevant to most others as well
  * distill a draft configfile "patch" (e.g. multiple choice list)
  * file bugreport with draft idea, and argue the case
  * learn how debconf actually works to talk to install routines
  * try hack /var/lib/dpkg/info/<PKG>.postinst and test the hack:
      dpkg-reconfigure <PKG>
  * create a local fork of <PKG> with hack applied, and test more
  * update bugreport providing patch
  * learn how libconfig-model-perl works to manage configfiles
  * improve patch using libconfig-model-perl to ease maintenance
  * update bugreport with updated patch
  * listen to arguments why it is still for maintainer to adopt
  * join debconf and discuss over beer why adoption saves kittens
  * join the packaging team (thanks to the beers) and apply patch
  * become Debian Maintainer and upload patched package to Debian
  * care for <PKG>, including annoying debconf bugs of others
  * become enlightened about politics, and become Debian Developer
  * etc...

>> Yes, I wholeheartedly agree that we should play with configurations,
>> to help decide what we then want to try convince Debian developers to
>> implement debconf hooks for in their official Debian packages:
>>
>> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2010-October/000164.html
>
> The part I'm not completely sure about is when it's appropriate to
> release a package with a completely custom configuration versus
> requesting additional debconf hooks.  That's probably a very minor
> detail, though.

No, not minor:

Convince a package maintainer to adopt a debconf hook, and you have a
person (or a team) devoted to that code caring for its maintenance.

Use a simpler hook (e.g. a conf.d dir or slapd's save-inside-db) to
create an addon config package, and you have yourself to continuously
keep up with code and care yourself for its maintenance.

[notes on not-even-Debian-packages-yet tool Freedom-Maker snipped]