[Freedombox-discuss] Drop exmachina, use sudo instead - at least short term (Was: Kerberos and remctl instead of exmachina?)

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sat Sep 7 06:53:59 UTC 2013

[Jonas Smedegaard]
> Let me try rephrase: Why use a mechanism more complex than e.g. sudo to
> govern crossing boundaries of access rights?

Because I believe it is a good idea to be able to authenticate into
ones own freedombox without having to send the password over the net
(even encrypted).  The scenario I have in mind is a linux, windows or
mac box hooked up to ones own Kerberos/AD domain, which can log into
freedombox using Kerberos, and which can get a Kerberos ticket also
when away from home.

> If Kerberos is used only to issue tickets automatically based on
> user-id, then I see no benefit of that mechanism.

I agree.

> If Kerberos is used also for authenticating human users of
> FreedomBox, how do you then imagine making that dead user-friendly?

For this to work, I believe the Freedombox had to become a AD domain
controller, thus allowing any windows machine to "join the domain" of
the Freedombox and the browser to log into plinth using the Kerberos
ticket.

But after looking at plinth/exmachina a bit more, I believe the best
way forward right now is to drop exmachina completely and rewrite
plinth to use sudo.  Instead of talking to exmachina, it should call
'sudo /some/privileged/helper/script' we write to handle the
operations plinth need, and ask it to do the privileged operations.
This would allow us to get something working very quickly.  For
package installation, I suspect aptdaemon is a good way to get
everything we need (including debconf interactions), using the dbus.

Any objections to dropping exmachina?  I suspect 200 lines of python
and 3-4 hours should be enough to do the rewrite.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen