[Freedombox-discuss] How to get jwchat working on the FreedomBox

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sun Sep 15 06:00:37 UTC 2013

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> To me it seem like the jwchat and ejabber packages are installed
> without any configuration.  Might be wrong, though.

It was worse than that.  Two XMPP servers (ejabberd and prosody) were
installed and running, and jwchat lacked the proper configuration.
Thanks to James Valleroy, a patch to freedombox-setup was added today to
set up ejabberd and jwchat (dropped prosody as jwchat cause ejabberd to
be installed anyway).  With this change in place, jwchat is able to
connect to ejabberd.  Not sure how user administration is done, so there
are probably still problems left to fix.

Reinstalling using the recipe available from
will let you test the latest changes.

Note, the jwchat package have release critical bugs according to
from the next release of Debian if it isn't fixed soon.  JFYI.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen