[Freedombox-discuss] How to get jwchat working on the FreedomBox

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Sep 15 09:10:46 UTC 2013

Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (2013-09-15 08:00:37)
> [Petter Reinholdtsen]
> > To me it seem like the jwchat and ejabber packages are installed
> > without any configuration.  Might be wrong, though.
>
> It was worse than that.  Two XMPP servers (ejabberd and prosody) were
> installed and running, and jwchat lacked the proper configuration.
> Thanks to James Valleroy, a patch to freedombox-setup was added today
> to set up ejabberd and jwchat (dropped prosody as jwchat cause
> ejabberd to be installed anyway).  With this change in place, jwchat
> is able to connect to ejabberd.  Not sure how user administration is
> done, so there are probably still problems left to fix.
>
> Reinstalling using the recipe available from
> will let you test the latest changes.

NB! This kind of testing is something more of us can help with - it does
*not* require being a Debian Developer, only involves *installing Debian
packages.

Great that this is moving forward again since 2011:
https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-August/002391.html

> Note, the jwchat package have release critical bugs according to <URL:
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/j/jwchat.html > and might be removed
> from the next release of Debian if it isn't fixed soon.  JFYI.

Yes.  Suggestions for alternatives (preferrably as lightweight) are
quite welcome.

You need not even install packages for that, only involves editing the
wiki page https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/LeavingTheCloud - and to be
really nice additionally filing a bugreport as hinted at the bottom of
that page.