[Freedombox-discuss] Test Freedombox on Debian Jessie?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Sep 16 07:14:22 UTC 2013

Those checking out my Freedombox recipes for amd64 and Raspberry Pi[1]
might have noticed the unannounced preseed-jessie.dat file[2] and
wondered what its purpose might be.  Now I can tell, as I got it
working yesterday.

 1) <URL: http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Recipe_to_test_the_Freedombox_project_on_amd64_or_Raspberry_Pi.html >
 2) <URL: http://www.reinholdtsen.name/freedombox/preseed-jessie.dat >

When we are to work within Debian with Freedombox, it is most useful
to work on the next stable release (instead of the previous one), as
it will make sure our changes are included also in future Debian
releases and also lower the threshold for what kind of changes we can
get into packages.

But to make it possible to work on the next stable release, named
Jessie, we need to be able to test the FreedomBox setup on Jessie, and
that is the purpose of the earlier mentioned file.

Thanks to a rewrite in how Apache is configured (sites-available files
must have .conf file ending now), neither Plinth nor jwchat was
working in Jessie.  I changed it for Plinth, but jwchat is still
broken due to <URL: http://bugs.debian.org/710688 >.

But the happy news is that the FreedomBox setup actually work in
Jessie.  Everything _except_ jwchat seem to be properly configured.

This mean that as soon as we can get plinth into Debian and wait for
ten days (for the package to move from unstable to testing in Debian),
we can start testing FreedomBox only using packages in Debian - and
drop my APT repository on www.reinholdtsen.name. :)

Please test the Jessie build, and let us know how it work for you.  At
the moment it can only be tested with amd64 and i386 (no idea if
raspbian provide a jessie based image).

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen