[Freedombox-discuss] (fwd) Debian OTR team

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Apr 2 19:31:32 UTC 2014

This is great news. :)

----- Forwarded message from Holger Levsen <holger at layer-acht.org> -----

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 20:39:05 +0200
From: Holger Levsen <holger at layer-acht.org>
To: debian-devel-announce at lists.debian.org
Subject: Debian OTR team

originally-from: Jurre van Bergen <jurre at useotrproject.org>

Today we launch the Debian OTR team. OTR stands for "Off-the-Record"
messaging which provides encryption, authentication, deniability and
perfect forward secrecy. The team was started by various maintainers of
software that feature "OTR" support. OTR is used for instant messaging.
It adds an encryption layer over existing instant messaging protocols
like Jabber and IRC and is implemented in several instant messaging
clients, which we aim to support and maintain in Debian.

In a post-Snowden age, it is important that Debian provides encryption
to those who want to protect their communications. OTR is one of the
protocols that is relatively easy to use for end-users. Its end-to-end
encryption makes it harder for attackers to decrypt the communication
between two parties.

The Debian OTR team is supported by OTR.im[1], a community of OTR
developers, whose aim it is to work effectively together, peer-review
each other's work and encourage people to step in and work together on
the OTR ecosystem and OTR upstream.

Now for the burning question, how can you contribute? We welcome any
contribution! From bug reporting and triaging, to bugfixing, packaging
and backporting. We will help newcomers if needed and are very grateful
for your contribution!

You can find the Debian OTR homepage with all the information on how to
get involved there:

    https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/OTR

All the best,
Debian OTR team.