[Freedombox-discuss] How do we handle package upgrades on the Freedombox?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Apr 16 08:54:56 UTC 2014

[Jonas Smedegaard]
> Good point!
>
> James created a wiki page tracking transition to debconf, and I have now
> referenced from that page a tutorial on packaging with debconf:
>
>   https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Build/DebconfConfig

I noticed you added this:

  NB! Debconf is preferred over alternative methods like .d or
  multilevel support: Only debconf keeps the maintenance task of
  tracking intimate configuration details most possible at the package
  maintainer.

Given that the debconf database is not a registry (in other words, the
files in /etc/ take precidence over changes in the debconf database,
can you add some details to the page on how the freedombox project can
use debconf to change the setup we apply to packages after
installation?  For example, if the tor package started using debconf
and we used debconf to configure tor during installation, and after
installation wanted to change the freedombox setup for tor, how would
that be done using debconf?  We already had that need when we enabled
SOCKS in tor a few weeks ago. The reason I ask is that I am unaware of
any way to make that work without .d or multilevel support, and thus
fail to understand how debconf would solve this and why it should be
preferred over .d and multilevel configuration.

I skimmed the tutorial to try to find a solution there, but did not
find it.  Did I read too quickly?

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen