[Freedombox-discuss] How do we handle package upgrades on the Freedombox?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Apr 16 12:25:49 UTC 2014

[Jonas Smedegaard]
> There's two parts to debconf:
>
>  1) Implement debconf question(s) about SOCKS in tor package.
>  2) Preseed all non-default answers, and seed them to tor package.

I am probably just dense, but you seem to describe first time
installation, not configuration changes after package installation.
What did I misunderstand?  The use case I have in mind is this:

 1) Preseed debconf questions.
 2) Install tor package.
 3) Discover preseeded or default settings were incorrect or incomplete.
 4) Change tor setup after installation.

I wonder how you see debconf support in the tor package can be used to
solve step 4) above.

Your reply seem to only describe use case involving the step 1) and
2)?  What did I miss?

With multilevel config support or .d config support, the use case
would looke similar to this:

 1) Put configuration overrides in .d directory (or similar for
    multilevel config support) as part of our freedombox-setup or
    plinth package.  Use unique file name.
 2) Install tor package.
 3) Discover preseeded or default settings were incorrect or incomplete.
 4) Change config overrides in our package, upload new version.
 5) Upgrade our package and make sure its postinst restart tor.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen