[Freedombox-discuss] How do we handle package upgrades on the Freedombox?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Apr 17 06:20:22 UTC 2014

[James Valleroy]
> I think we can use dpkg-reconfigure without the interactive frontend:
>
> echo "jwchat jwchat/ApacheServerName string $hostname" | debconf-set-selections
> DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive dpkg-reconfigure jwchat
>
> Do you see any issues with this approach?

[Jonas Smedegaard]
> Well, if it works then maybe it will keep working.
>
> I just worry that manpage seems to describe a different intent.

If that work, jwchat is broken, as the setting on disk is supposed to
override the debconf value and preseeding like that is only supposed
to work for the first time installation.  In other word, if this work
then jwchat is broken and should be changed to make sure it do not
work.  I even believe such behaviour is RC as it is against Debian
policy (10.7.3 Behavior) to behave like this.

For configuration changes like the one above, the debconf frontend
need to ignore debconf SET calls done by jwchat and provide its own
answer (the new hostname) no matter what the package read from disk.
I am not aware of anything implementing such feature at the moment,
and not quite sure it will work.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen