[Freedombox-discuss] How do we handle package upgrades on the Freedombox?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Apr 17 12:19:26 UTC 2014

Quoting Anders Jackson (2014-04-17 13:14:56)
> Den 17 apr 2014 11:25 skrev "Jonas Smedegaard" <[1]dr at jones.dk>:
> > Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (2014-04-17 08:20:22)
>>> If that work, jwchat is broken,
[snip]
>> Ahh, now I realize what your point is: Declaring and applying must be
>> done together - so as to distinguish between stale answers (which
>> must not take precedence over package data) and current explicitly
>> seeded answers (which should take precedence).
>
> So if dpkg-reconfigure is trained to takes precedence as file
> contents, stdin and/or switches, it would be ok then?

Nope.

Imagine package foo-player with two debconf questions, gtk-theme and
audio-bus.

 1) install foo-player, and select "green" and "JackD"
 2) edit /etc/foo-player.cfg to "theme = blue"
 3) preseed new value for audio-bus "Pulseaudio"
 4) run "dpkg-reconfigure --favor-answers-over-pkgstate"

Result would be that *both* theme and bus would be changed.

I have now raised the question at debian-devel at l.d.o - let's
discuss technical details there instead: