[Freedombox-discuss] Dev: Networking Interface Config?

Nick Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 02:15:58 UTC 2014

Nick Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:04 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:
>> The network setup is done at first boot in
>> freedombox-setup/first-run.d/05_network, and there I was told by
>> jsullevan to use eth1, not eth0, on the dreamplug.  What is correct?

I don't know that it matters which one we use, as long as we're
consistent and clear about how to use it correctly.  FreedomBox-Setup
can now tell how many wired and wireless interfaces are available and
configure the networking setup appropriately (sbin/interface_detect.py
[0]).

It's easy enough to get a reasonable first-boot networking configuration
in FBX-Setup, but I don't know how we should handle configuring the
network for the live system.  Regardless, we should now have enough
information to be able to make those decisions [1].

Also, I experimented with making interface_detect as easy to understand
as possible, so I put it together in org mode and exported it a few
different ways [2].  If you find the python script or the exported
source easier to read, please let me know.

Nick

0: https://github.com/NickDaly/freedombox-setup/blob/master/sbin/interface_detect.py

1:
https://github.com/NickDaly/Plinth/blob/master/doc/design/first-connection.mdwn