[Freedombox-discuss] OwnCloud

Nick Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 02:34:13 UTC 2014

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> writes:

> [Chris Troutner]
>> If the FreedomBox is attached to a home router with a dynamic IP,
>> how does the that get handled for interaction through the web
>> browser interface?  I've used DynDNS for stuff like this in the
>> past, but I don't think they're free anymore.
>
> I suspect we must have several options, and one of them I hope to get
> working is pagekite. :)

I don't believe Dyn is free ($25/yr), and they also don't accept Bitcoin
(if that matters to you), but NoIp.com does ($20/yr).  Pagekite does and
is significantly cheaper than either of the other two ($36/yr,
recommended).

I buy my domain name through Dyn and use PageKite for the hosting, it
works really well.  Pere's working on FBX PageKite support, which I'm
looking forward to.

Ultimately, it's going to be a non-zero cost, unless you enable uncommon
routing tools on your client devices (like i2p on a cell phone, for
example).

Nick