[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox 0.2 almost ready - please test

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Fri Mar 14 03:34:27 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 09:22:49PM -0500, Nick Daly wrote:
> "A. F. Cano" <afc at shibaya.lonestar.org> writes:
>
> > Tried to build for virtualbox.  It failed. The loop device the script
> > assumes doesn't exist on Debian Jessie.
> >
> > ERROR: command failed: ['mkfs', '-t', 'ext4', '/dev/mapper/loop0p1']

After digging a little more, I found that the "EEEK! Something bad
happened..." message comes from vmdebootstrap.  In another message
Sunil Mohan mentions a bug report about running kpartx in sync mode,
so it looks like the ultimate solution to this problem is fixing
vmdebootstrap, or finding a way to pass this parameter to it so that
kpartx runs in sync mode.

> Interesting.  Bdale was running into that issue too.  Try running:
>
> : kpartx -av $IMAGE

Ok, did that (with the $IMAGE set manually) and it created the
proper link in /dev/mapper: loop0p1 -> ../dm-0

cd freedom-maker
sudo kpartx -av build/freedombox-unstable_2014-03-13_i386-virtualbox-hdd.img

> And then try running make again.

After that, make worked.  In fact it's still working as I write this.
An amazing amount of work is being done, getting packages, etc...

This is my first time building a freedombox, so there's plenty I'll
still have to learn before I can make use of it, but I'm impressed at
the amount of work that's being done from a small makefile and some
scripts.

Other suggestions were to check device-mapper in /proc/misc: it's there.
the dm_mod module is also loaded.  Rebooting made no difference.

After going for quite a while, make stopped with this faillure:

Cleaning up
VBoxManage convertdd MAGE.img MAGE.vdi
Converting from raw image file="MAGE.img" to file="MAGE.vdi"...
VBoxManage: error: Cannot open file "MAGE.img": VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
make: *** [virtualbox-image] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/home/video/fbx/freedom-maker'

It's late so I'll have to deal with this tomorrow.  In the meantime, any
suggestions?

Thanks.

Augustine