[Freedombox-discuss] Avahi

Jens Thiele karme at karme.de
Thu Mar 20 15:44:21 UTC 2014

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> writes:

> [Petter Reinholdtsen]
>> I agree that avahi/mdns would be very useful, and will change
>> freedombox-setup to pull in avahi-daemon, avahi-utils and libnss-mdns
>> on the freedombox.
>
> This is now in place, and freshly built images (or upgraded images)
> will get avahi-daemon installed by default.

didn't look at the current code and don't know if the freedom box does
run sshd at all - but anyway:

you can announce ssh/sftp via avahi and it will show up in f.e. nautlius
network folder like this: (assuming there is a user fbx with its home in
/home/fbx and the home is the place you would like to announce)

    # announce sftp via avahi (for simple access via gnome/nautilus)
    # see also:
    # http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Avahi_Zeroconf
    cat <<"EOF" > etc/avahi/services/sftp-ssh.service
<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?><!--*-nxml-*-->
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
<service-group>

  <name replace-wildcards="yes">%h</name>

  <service>
    <type>_sftp-ssh._tcp</type>