[Freedombox-discuss] Avahi

Tim Retout diocles at debian.org
Fri Mar 21 07:55:14 UTC 2014

On 20 Mar 2014 14:22, "Petter Reinholdtsen" <pere at hungry.com> wrote:
> These are all avahi and rsyslog related messages since the last boot.
> Do not see anything obvious there, I must admit.

For the record, I can't see anything there either.  I have seen occasional
problems in my own testing when the IP address changes, but nothing so
obvious as it just stopping to work.

I think there must be a cache of lookups to avoid flooding the network with
UDP packets - maybe if a lookup gets tried while the box is rebooting, the
wrong thing gets cached for a while? If it happens again, I would be
interested in distinguishing between the lookup failing vs.
succeeding-but-wrong-ip. You can generally work this out from "ping" output.

Meanwhile, I have been digging into issues with avahi and IPv6. Upstream
releases have slowed over the last few years. :(

I found that Windows Vista and up have LLMNR, a similar protocol, and there
are unapplied Avahi patches to add support. Older Windows support NetBIOS -
this also pretty much works out of the box if you install samba on the
freedombox, but without the ".local" extension, and it's IPv4-only. And
Linux machines need to edit nsswitch.conf if they are to look up those
names.

Still found nothing for Android yet. :(

Tim