[Freedombox-discuss] Video chat on the Freedombox using WebRTC? (Was: public + private http services)

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Mon Mar 24 09:00:34 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 09:41:35AM +0100, Leen Besselink wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 09:35:02AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > [Timur Mehrvarz 2013-07-15]
> > > The context of my question is this p2p webrtc chat application:
> > > https://github.com/mehrvarz/rtcchat /
> > > http://mehrvarz.github.io/rtcchat This service merely helps two
> > > browser instances connect with each other (and then continue in pure
> > > p2p fashion). You can think of this service as something being hosted
> > > by, say, riseup.net. You can also think of it as something, that is
> > > running on your home server. In the latter case you could add
> > > features, that wouldn't make much sense in the former
> > > configuration. For instance you could make the server ring as if it
> > > was a telephone. You could then grab your tablet and "answer the
> > > call". You could also add internal-only services. Say, a service that
> > > would show you all waiting clients, etc.
> >
> > We currently have XMPP chat available on the freedombox, using either
> > XMPP directly or the jwchat client.  Two users registered in Plinth (or
> > any user if Plinth is used to enable online registration) can talk to
> > each other via the freedombox.  But what would it take to get video chat
> > working too, using WebRTC to allow anny WebRTC enabled browser to work
> > out of the box as a client?  Can we reuse XMPP, or do we need to provide
> > SIP services too?
> >
> > The Debconf talk about WebRTC available from
> > <URL:http://penta.debconf.org/dc13_schedule/events/1024.en.html> make it
> > seem simple, but what would we have to add / implement / configure to
> > get it working out of the box on the freedombox?  Anyone willing to work
> > on getting this up and running on the freedombox?  What is missing in
> > Debian to get it working out of the box?
> >

> Well, that is the advantage and disadvantage of WebRTC, it has no signaling,
> it's flexible.
>
> So you can use XMPP on the server and push information in for examlpe JSON
> format to the browser or even parse XMPP in the browser.
>
> Or not even use any existing protocol like XMPP.
>
> It is up to you ! ;-)

Seriously:

I believe there is a blob of JSON that needs to be send from on browser to other
and back. Which contains, IP-addresses, Datagram TLS signatures, information about
capabilities of the agent (is video enabled, what sizes of video stream are supported),
what relay to use as a fallback if direct connections aren't possible, that sort of stuff.

How you get that string from one side to the other, is all up to you.

While I've build anything with it, that is how I understand it.