[Freedombox-discuss] s3ql - idea for backup between friends

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Mar 24 11:45:59 UTC 2014

[Sandy Harris]
> It seems to me the obvious file system for that sort of thing would
> be Tahoe.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahoe_Least-Authority_Filesystem

Could be.  I do not know much about Tahoe.  Would you be willing to
add support in the FreedomBox for it? :)

One nice feature of s3ql is the fact that it uses HTTP/HTTPS as its
transport protocol.  I suspect it is a good requirement, as HTTP seem
to get out of most networks.  Tahoe do not seem to use such transport
protocol, but I might be mistaken.

An option with s3ql is using it over ssh, by using sshfs + s3ql to
store data.  Using this approach, all friends need to do is enable ssh
login on each others freedombox to share data.  The recipe from
two steps:

  sshfs user at my.server.com:/mnt/s3ql /mnt/sshfs
  mount.s3ql local:///mnt/sshfs/myfsdata /mnt/s3ql

Probably need mkfs.s3ql too, unless the file system is already created
on user at my.server.com:/mnt/s3ql.  If the file system is created on the
ssh client, the ssh server will not have the password needed to
decrypt the data, and the storage would be protected from brying eyes
on the file server.

Check out more on <URL: https://bitbucket.org/nikratio/s3ql/wiki/Home >.

--
Happy hacking